To keep your immune system working in tip-top shape and your body strong and thriving it is important to adjust your preparation style and food choices to the seasons. Think of building your body up, nourishing it and giving it all the nutrients it needs to be radiant and happy.
During the winter, baking and roasting are wonderful ways to infuse food with extra warmth and nourishment, like roasted root vegetables and baked casseroles. I like baking my grains during the winter and you can create this baked rice dish with endless variations.
Sauté onion, garlic, carrots and celery in olive oil until soft.
Mix it in a casserole dish with 1 cup of uncooked brown rice.
Add 1/4 cup of almonds(I like to use tamari almonds), salt and pepper to taste, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric and 1 teaspoon of dry thyme.
Add 2 cups of boiling water, cover and bake at 350ºF/180ºC for 40-45 minutes until the water is absorbed and the rice is done.
Serve with chopped fresh parsley.
* You can create this dish with additional proteins like chickpeas, lentils, tofu or chicken.
* You can use other grains like quinoa, buckwheat, millet or barley.
* You can use any other vegetables you like.
* You can use any other nuts and add dry fruit like raisins or chopped apricots.
* You can add other fresh herbs or spices like chives, cinnamon or curry.
This recipe is taken from my ‘Winter Thriving Guide’, which is filled with food suggestions and ritual for a healthy winter. If you haven’t got it yet email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send it to you as a gift.
Health Nut Girl's FREE 3-DayFallCleanse For A Radiant Body & A Joyful Life
Experience more energy, better digestion and balanced health.